Local Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
If you have a local business and you want to increase your sales then local search engine optimization (SEO) is the service that’s going to help you do it. Do you want potential customers to find your business online instead of your competitors business? Following are 5 local seo tips to help you out.
- Claim your Google Place Page. The first step in local SEO is to claim your businesses listing in Google Places. Claiming it is not enough though. You need to completely fill out all the information about your business. This includes, contact information, business hours, services offered, adding all 10 pictures they allow and adding all 5 videos that they allow you to add. The more Google knows about your business the better able they are to place your business in the right place in the search results. If you don’t know what Google Places is then contact us and we’ll explain.
- Have a physical address in the specific city where you want to be found. Think about it, why would Google place your business in the “local” search results if you don’t have a physical location in the city? They generally won’t. That said you need a local, physical address to rank well. Now, there are some ways that you can get around that, but we’ll save that tip for our clients.
- Submit your business information to local directories and internet yellow pages. The more places where your business is mentioned – using the same information (address, telephone number, etc.) – the more chances you have for the major search engines to find your business. There are literally 100’s of local directories, but at minimum make sure you’ve submitted to the most important ones. That list varies based on where you are located, what industry your buiness or organization falls under – so you may have to do a little bit of research to determine which directories to submit to. If you have questions about that you can always contact us for help. That said, some of the main ones are Facebook, Yelp, Merchant Circle, YP.com, Insider Pages and Super Pages.
- Business reviews. Google and other search engines take into account the number and quality of reviews your business or organization gets online. Having reviews – good and bad – has a definite impact on how your business ranks – or doesn’t rank – in local search results. Ask your customers and clients to review you business on Google, Yelp and the other local search directories where your business is listed. Over time Google will pick up those results and begin to show them in your local listing.
- Consistent information. When submitting information about your business to local directories be sure that the information is the same. Simple errors like listing your address as “street” vs. “st.” can have an impact on how well you rank. Any inconsistencies can cause a problem because it’s tougher for Google to ascertain if it’s the same business or not. So, when submitting your business to local search directories or when claiming your listing in a local search directory its vital to use the same format for the name of your business, your address and telephone number to avoid any problems.
Take these steps and your business will rank better in Google, Yahoo! and Bing. Failure to do so will likely keep your rankings down and ultimately cost you business. If you need help from the experts then please contact us. We’re happy to help.